Sprinkin Sprinks, Like a Boss
I realized something today that I've been denying for ages: I use my degree in the job I have.
That's kind of a big deal. You see, I got the degree with the full understanding that I would not ever go directly into the field of Sociology. I didn't want to, I knew I'd hate it. Academia is one of my least favorite places. The pretentious, bullshit, know-it-all attitude drives me crazy. I always enjoyed the real conversations, which only a few teaches were ever to accomplish, but I couldn't help but be repulsed by just how much jargon was used and ill-defined concepts accepted as reality. I fell into the trap of it at first, but slowly, as I partied and lived in the real world, I came to the realization that none of it would ever benefit me there. The jargon, not the lessons.
I had an undeclared concentration within Sociology that deeply affected the way I treat the people around me: Gender, sexuality, and queer studies.
I did it mostly to question things I held true, to go deeper into myself so to speak. I did not do it because I thought in some way it would decide my career path. It was a selfish degree, which I'm sure is why I minored in Psychology. College was one huge journey of self exploration. I think it is that for a lot of people, I just happened to use my classes to do it for me. The things I discovered could fill a book, so I'm not gonna detail them here. I will say that I learned to look beneath the surface of a person, I learned the skill of social analysis and the analysis of personalities. I learned to question my own motives, reactions, and actions. Basically, I learned how people work, and how we all interact with each other.
I did not learn business.
I did not learn management.
But I sure did learn people.
People are the key to any good business. A person with ability to clearly communicate to any number of different people in their individual style is a good person. I learned how to do that in college. It's literally something I learned in classes that I took to earn a degree. It makes me feel like those four (and a half) years weren't quite so wasted.
So now when people ask me, "What do you do with a degree in Sociology?" Instead of nervously laughing and joking, "You work at a donut shop." I can lift me head proudly and say with honesty, "You work at a donut shop."
That's kind of a big deal. You see, I got the degree with the full understanding that I would not ever go directly into the field of Sociology. I didn't want to, I knew I'd hate it. Academia is one of my least favorite places. The pretentious, bullshit, know-it-all attitude drives me crazy. I always enjoyed the real conversations, which only a few teaches were ever to accomplish, but I couldn't help but be repulsed by just how much jargon was used and ill-defined concepts accepted as reality. I fell into the trap of it at first, but slowly, as I partied and lived in the real world, I came to the realization that none of it would ever benefit me there. The jargon, not the lessons.
I had an undeclared concentration within Sociology that deeply affected the way I treat the people around me: Gender, sexuality, and queer studies.
I did it mostly to question things I held true, to go deeper into myself so to speak. I did not do it because I thought in some way it would decide my career path. It was a selfish degree, which I'm sure is why I minored in Psychology. College was one huge journey of self exploration. I think it is that for a lot of people, I just happened to use my classes to do it for me. The things I discovered could fill a book, so I'm not gonna detail them here. I will say that I learned to look beneath the surface of a person, I learned the skill of social analysis and the analysis of personalities. I learned to question my own motives, reactions, and actions. Basically, I learned how people work, and how we all interact with each other.
I did not learn business.
I did not learn management.
But I sure did learn people.
People are the key to any good business. A person with ability to clearly communicate to any number of different people in their individual style is a good person. I learned how to do that in college. It's literally something I learned in classes that I took to earn a degree. It makes me feel like those four (and a half) years weren't quite so wasted.
So now when people ask me, "What do you do with a degree in Sociology?" Instead of nervously laughing and joking, "You work at a donut shop." I can lift me head proudly and say with honesty, "You work at a donut shop."
Comments
Post a Comment